Wednesday, August 29, 2007

He’s finally home!

After a long stay at the hospital, we're finally home and semi-reacquainting ourselves with a bit of normalcy... this whole experience has really given me a new appreciation for being home!

As far as the results from the hospital... his CT Scan, EKG, Spinal Tap, and most importantly his EEG (brain scan) all came back within normal range (aside from finding a slight heart murmur). With that being that said, the neurologist does not believe his episodes to be seizures. He's not quite sure what they are, but assures us that his brain is unaffected by them. Another explanation for them could be due to reflux, but we won't get the results for that until later on this week.

His blood work, however, revealed that he is anemic, so he was prescribed supplemental iron drops to hopefully combat that. Iron deficiency is usually the cause (and easiest to treat for), so we're crossing our fingers there. They also found blood in his stool, we're not quite sure of the cause, but his pediatrician wants to test the waters and see if it could be could be due to an allergy to milk (lactose intolerance). It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but just to be sure I'm cutting dairy out of my diet (because I'm breastfeeding) and we'll bring a diaper of his back to her in two weeks and see if that clears it up. If not, the next step is to cut out soy, because 40% of children with an allergy to dairy also have an allergy to soy... and if that doesn't quite do the trick, I'm not sure what comes next. We will see...

Alright, I think that's just about covers all areas. Some good news and some questionable news. I'm glad his EEG came back normal, but at the same time I'm still concerned because we still don't have answers. His pediatrician advised that we continue to videotape his episodes, and if we don't see any improvement within a couple months to go for a second opinion. We may go ahead and seek that opinion shortly... for peace of mind's sake.

Thanks to everyone who sent thoughts and prayers our way. It really means so much to us.

0 comments: